Saturday 1 February 2014

The Great Gatsby

For the third topic of the 2014 Blogger's Challenge, we've been given the chance to write a book review, something completely different for my blog in particular. I've always loved to read, and I was that kid who instead of coming home and playing outside or running riot, I'd be curled up on the sofa, reading a book. I'd go to the library every two weeks and pick out an armful of books that I would get through until my next visit. Although I don't read as much now, I still love to pick up a book every now and then, and just lose myself in another world.

As you can probably tell from the title, my review is going to be on the classic The Great Gatsby. It was written in 1925 by F. Scott Fitzgerald, a truly fantastic writer, I might add! Every sentence is like poetry. I first read this book for my AS English Literature exam, 3 years ago, but recently re-read it for my Film & TV Adaptation module for uni. I completely forgot how beautiful this book is.

I can't do the story justice, but a brief summary would be that it follows Jay Gatsby's longing to relight the flame between him and now-married Daisy. Gatsby is without a doubt one of the most beautifully flawed characters ever written, in my opinion at least!

I wouldn't be able to do the story justice by reviewing it, so instead, I'm going to write some of the quotes from the book, subtle life-lessons from Fitzgerald:

"Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope"
"I like large parties. They're so intimate"
"There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired"
"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the Fall"
"There is no confusion like the confusion of a simple mind"
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly to the past"

If these aren't reason enough to read it, I don't know what is! And the best thing? You can download the book for FREE from the Kindle store on Amazon. You can download it onto a Kindle device, or with the Kindle App on smartphones, PCs or Macs (my preference; it has a bigger screen!). I hope you all love it as much as I do!

1 comment:

  1. I have this on my to-read list but never got around to it. I took Advanced Placement English back in high school but even then we didn't touch on the novel so I feel like I missed out when people tell me, "Oh, I read that back in high school!"

    ReplyDelete