Saturday 10 August 2013

Everything Changes

My dear friend, Rebekah, wrote a post yesterday about how much has changed in the past year, and it got me thinking how exactly the same can be said about my life.

This time last year, I had just left sixth form, and was so sad that 7 years at that school were over. I really did have some of the best teachers, and made some amazing friends there. I'll always remember our sixth form leaver's meal at TGIs, getting drunk with our teachers, then me, Rebekah and our friend, Laura, writing our names on a balloon and releasing it into the night sky. It was a beautiful moment.

This time last year, I was 2 years into my relationship with my boyfriend at the time, and although it was by no means a "perfect" relationship, we were content just sailing through and making things work.

This time last year, I was in a large group of friends, and we'd go out most nights of the week, drinking, and just generally having a good time. It was probably one of the best summers I've ever had.

This time last year, I hated meeting new people. I had my group of friends, and I was perfectly happy to stick with them whenever we went out; i'd never try talking to new people.

A year on, I've completed my first year of university, and have never enjoyed myself as much as I have this year. There's still elements of sixth form that I'll miss, but I believe that going to my uni was the best decision I've ever made.

A year on, my 2 and a half year relationship ended, leading me into a new one, which as I'm sure you all know, recently ended too. I'm still at a point where I'm trying to get past the ache in my heart.

A year on, and more than half of the friends I had last summer, I can barely call them friends now. I knew that going to uni would change things, and show who my true friends are, and now I can count with just a few fingers who my true friends are from home. The others completely stopped making an effort to talk to me, which made me realise that they're no longer worth my efforts either. Not to say that I don't still like them, I just wouldn't consider them my "true friends".

A year on, and my confidence has soured. I LOVE meeting new people now, and by allowing myself to do that, I've met some of the best people I've ever met, all at uni. Through being more confident, I've made some friends that I know I'll still be in contact with long after uni.

Change is good, it allows you to grow as a person. Sometimes the change might affect you in a negative way, but ultimately, it makes you who you are. Whatever it is, it'll pass eventually, and something else will come along to change the negatives into a positive.

6 comments:

  1. Perfectly put!
    I'm pretty happy with all the change in my life, and I'm damn sure you will be with prickface too... eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post and so true!

    I had a tonne if friends in high school but as soon as I left school for college they all pretty much disappeared. Now I only talk to one from high school, my best friend. I'm always by how much can change in a year but I think it makes life more interesting.

    Debi x
    http://dibdabdebs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how much can change in such a short time! I guess it shows that the people that stick around really are the best ones :) x

      Delete