Friday 21 June 2013

Shifting the "Essex Girl" stigma.

I've lived in Essex my entire life. I love being in such close proximity to London, without being completely immersed in the hustle and bustle the magnificent city brings. I've always known about the stereotypical image that coming from Essex gives us, but until I came to university, it was never an issue for me.

The main culprit of this "Essex girl image" is none other than the show TOWIE. The Only Way Is Essex provides the public with this "entertainment", showing us the lives of real Essex folk. Real meaning fake, of course!

Fake tan, vajazzles, that goddamn "I'm from Essex so I'm going to speak like a complete fool" accent, it all adds up to my complete annoyance at the show, providing the public with a completely false representation of the county I come from. It embarrasses me that people associate me with this show.

When I went to the University of Kent for my first year in September 2012, I was overwhelmed by the amount of people that said they could tell I'm from Essex. I neither look nor sound like a stereotypical Essex girl. I never have. Friends back home always tell me I sound "posh", not like I'm from Essex. Maybe it's that I just don't sound that Essex-y that people at home don't notice it, but people from other parts of the country can.

Whatever the case, I am definitely not a stereotypical Essex girl. I've never used fake tan or dyed my hair, I do not plaster my face in make up (in fact, the only times I ever actually wear the stuff, is on a night out!), and I don't talk as if I have lost half of my brain cells.

I'd love to hear from my fellow Essex girls! Do you guys have the same issue? Or do you embrace your inner Essex?

No comments:

Post a Comment